Saturday, May 09, 2009



Coffee Talk

I am generally not a big coffee guy. I used to be, back in college, but for several years now I've made it a point to avoid caffeine in general. The joking poster above is a reality for me. If I have a strong cup of coffee, I will feel shakey. In college I relied on it heavily (and ephedrine products, before they were outlawed) to make it through my hectic schedule, but now caffeine makes me feel my pulse pounding in my chest like I just ran a 5 minute mile.

This last week I have had a few cups of java in my shiny, new LIVESTRONG THERMOS. I bought it mainly to use for hot snacks on the go (I boil water in a tea kettle, pour it in with dry oatmeal, and a couple hours later it's perfect) but I haven't been sleeping as much lately, so I have also been drinking coffee in it.

In years passed I have always been a fan of the fatty, gooey, blended, creamy coffee drinks. Frozen Frappucinos from StarBucks were heaven in a cup to me. No more. The thought of those drinks now kind of makes me queezy (sp?).

More recently I've discovered my tastes have changed and I prefer it pitch black, and ice cold. And now that I drink it without all those other distractions to the coffee taste I'm finding I'm much more selective about what I drink. I couldn't drink a black cup of StarBucks coffee anymore if you paid me. I'm loving the "light" roasts from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, especially the Costa Rican.

I also discovered that my favorite thing is after the coffee is gone when I refill the thermos with ice water and lemon, and it still has that slight coffee taste to it. Mmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment