Monday, March 20, 2006

Recently, I was in a really bad place. It was such a bad place that I nearly drove Meg away with my wallowing. A day or so before Josh's bachelor party she told me that she had considered leaving me. I was no longer at my worst at this point, but I still wasn't right in the head. I had alienated her, neglected her and confused her. Even after all that though, ultimately love won out, and she decided to stay with me. She really did love me, and decided to tough it out until I was ready to be whole again. Despite the result, hearing what I had been doing snapped me out of it. The thought of losing her was the wake-up call I needed.

Now I feel as though I spent much of the month of February asleep. I wasn't really here. I was not at all myself. When faced with the possible end of my marriage things seemed to fall into perspective a little better. The fog lifted and my eyes readjusted to the light. The problems I had been concentrating on so intently were not only unsolvable, but irrelevent and not worth my energy anymore.

Since shrugging off my silly, selfish funk, I feel great ALL the time. I have actually been sleeping well, for the first time in many many months, I wake up feeling ready to face the day, and ready to try to do everything I can to make Meg feel loved and appreciated like she deserves. I feel like I'm taking in and enjoying more of the world around me than I have in a long time. The weather is great, and I'm a working actor who loves his life, his wife, and his work.

Ah.

Why just stop and smell the roses? Why not be the roses?

*****************************

In case you haven't heard the hullabaloo, the South Park goons took a two-pronged stab at Scientology and Tom Cruise, but Comedy Central caved to pressure and pulled the episode. These now infamous believers of the rantings of a dead con man are known for being extremely letigious, and there are rumors that Tom Cruise also made threats about bailing on MI3 publicity tours. See, if the rumor is true, that threat would work because Viacom is the company that owns both Comedy Central and Paramount, the latter being the studio that made MI3. As if any publicity will make that stillborn piece of crap a hit. But whatever the reason, the episode was pulled.

Fortunately for us, we live in the information age, and even if Comedy Central won't air it, it's already out there, and they can't take it back. You can watch the episode for free, in it's entirety HERE.

The episode really isn't there best work, but they give you a taste of what Scientologists actually believe, for those of you who don't know. It involves the spirits of aliens who died 75 million years ago, and Trey and Matt DIDN'T make that up. L. Ron Hubbard did. Also, the ending of the episode, and the credits are hilarious.

Isaac Hayes, who has voiced Chef for almost ten years, walked away from the show over this mess. He's a scientologist, and they are not known for taking criticism of any kind, even parody, very well. What I find interesting is that Hayes stayed on the show through many stabs at Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. It was only when they finally came knocking on his own door that he got indignant about it. Hypocrite

I think that scientologists are so sensitive about criticism and parody because on a gut level they really do know that their beliefs are a rejected script for a bad 1950's B-movie, they just refuse to acknowledge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment