Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Immersible

WARNING: This may be a you-had-to-be-there kinda thing. If so, please, feel free to let me know in the comments.

Sometimes my mom's side of the family is loud and obnoxious. Okay, they're always loud and obnoxious, but that goes with the territory in a huge italian family. But sometimes they're loud and hilarious. Imagine George Costanza's parents from Seinfeld, but italian instead of jewish.

Here's an exchange that happened two nights ago at my gramma's house while my aunt was washing the dinner dishes.

Aunt Anne: Ma! Hey Ma! Immersible! Says right here, immersible. You're telling me I can't put it under water, and it says right on the label: immersible!

Gramma: Immersible?!

Aunt Anne: Yeah, Immersible, right here on the bottom. Immersible!

My Mom: Are you sure it's immersible? (goes over to look) She's right Ma , it's immersible.

Gramma: Well, I didn't think it was immersible.

Aunt Anne: If you'd just read the label, it says right on it; immersible!

They went on like this a little longer, each of them saying immersible at least once, most times twice every sentence. At this point my cousin and Meg and I are laughing hysterically, and drawing strange looks from the elders. I decide to jump into the melee to show them what we're laughing at. I furrow my brow, and draw a very serious look on my face.

Me: Wait! Wait-wait-wait. Seriously, you guys... is it immersible?

My cousin nearly pees herself at this point, and now the adults finally get what's so funny. Oh. My. God. I think if you totalled up the sum of all the times I've heard that word in my life before that night it would be less than the amount it was used in that little spat over the damn electric frying pan.

At this point my grouch of a grandfather walks in and overhears that the thing is immersible. Apparently, this was a point of great controversy for gramps too.

Gramps: It's immersible? You mean all these times you've had that damn thing sitting on the counter, full of water to soak overnight, and I've been dropping my damn pills in it, and dropping paper towels in it, and it's been immersible all this time?! I see. I see what's been going on, you just didn't want to wash the damn thing. Well, guess what, now I know it's immersible!

I think for the rest of my life that word will make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment