Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I recently stumbled across an email that I wrote around the time of the 2008 election.

Until I read it I forgot just how crazy John McCain went in his last-ditch effort to gain The White House. As I read it I kept thinking "oh yeah!"

I've been saying for years that the American voting public has such a short memory, but it appears I'm no better. Read below and remember. Ugh.

*************
11/10/2008

Firstly, I must recant. I am not a democrat. Not really. Many of my
stances do tend to lean to the left, but I do not vote along party
lines. In 2000, for example, I would have happily voted for John
McCain. I liked him then. I thought he was honest and strong in all
the right ways. It's sad that Bush defeated him, but that's the way it
happened. I did actually give him my vote then for his Arizona senate
seat.

About my email... I think you misunderstood me. Here is the one and
only time I mentioned McCain:

"You heard the term "robo calls" during the election, right? In case
you hadn't heard, they were automated pre-recorded phone calls to
people, trying to convince them to vote for this and that. John McCain
and the republican campaigners were using them heavily."

That is a widely reported fact. I heard people discussing it on both
liberal and conservative news sources. It was on NPR, CNN, MSNBC, and
even FOX News. But don't misunderstand. There is nothing wrong with
using those calls at all, and that was no attack on him what-so-ever.
I must have had a dozen calls that were recordings from McCain and
John Shadegg, etc etc. They would just say things like "Hi, I'm John
McCain, and blah blah blah, vote for me." Again, that's not an attack,
it's just a fact.

It's no secret that they used them, and the Obama campaign did not. I
don't know why you flew into defensive mode so fast, because that part
is true and perfectly legal and fine.

Beyond that, when I began talking about the misinformation to black
voters, I said some of those were done through robo calls, and some
were door-to-door. I never specified that McCain was the source of
these specific robo calls, and I didn't mean to connect them to him. I
only mentioned him and his calls as an example to explain what robo
calls are, in case you hadn't heard of them.

But, there are dozens of recorded stories of poor black voters being
given misinformation about when to vote and how to vote and all that.
Historically people in that demographic tend to vote democrat, so the
only people who have any vested interest in giving them bad
information would be republican supporters. Obviously I'm not claiming
anyone from any official campaign did anything shady like that
directly, but it was definitely people from the "red" side of the red
and blue camps. Why would democrats spread lies among their base? They
wouldn't. And I am not saying it was you, or McCain, or Rush Limbaugh,
or whoever, but somebody who wanted to see a Republican stay in the
White House was behind it somewhere.
Here's the deal about ACORN, they are a non-partisan organization,
dedicated to registering voters, and endorsing NO candidates. They
have both republican and democrat members all over the country. There
was REGISTRATION fraud committed, but it was perpetrated against ACORN
by its employees, not by ACORN as an entity. ACORN themselves were
actually the ones to point it out in the first place. You may not know
this, but any non-governement organization that handles voter
registration is required by law to hand in any and all forms they
receive, no matter if they say "Mickey Mouse" or not. That is federal
law. In those obviously fake cases like Mickey Mouse, they handed them
in flagged for investigation. I repeat ACORN flagged them, and this is
all public record, you can find it yourself if you look. Also, those
forms they reported for investigations made up way less than 1% of all
the registrations that ACORN handed in. In a mandate like we saw this
last Tuesday, less than 1% would not have produced those results. I,
for one am thankful that the 99.99% of all their registered voters got
to have their voice heard, wheter they voted red or blue. And so is
John McCain... or he was in 2006, anyway.

That's right, John McCain himself is connected with ACORN, and even
gave a keynote address at one of their rallies two years ago. If you
don't believe me, go on YouTube and search "McCain ACORN" it will be
somewhere in the first couple results. He saw the reports of a handful
of ACORN's registrations being reported for fraud, and seized an
opportunity to attach Obama to a corruption scandal.

It might have worked, if it were true and/or if McCain himself weren't
a fan of ACORN. He actually said at their rally that "What makes
America special is what's in this room." He was addressing a
bipartisan room, where people were literally dressed in red and others
in blue. Democrats and republicans side by side. Sounds great to me,
and not a corrupt subversive organization that John McCain wanted you
to believe it was when it suited his needs.

But here is another more important thing to note: registration fraud
cannot in any way shape or form win an election, only VOTER fraud can
do that. Anybody can register under any fake name they want, but
unless they show up and vote WITH and ID that has the fake name,
nothing changes. For those registered fakes to have any impact they
themselves would also have to go to the poll with an ID that said the
fake name on it and vote under that fake name. Even if they did get
through (and many were caught and thrown out) think of the massive
time and expense to design, print and distribute hundreds of thousands
of fake ID's and mobilizing enough people in enough states to even
make a dent in the totals. And not only is that expensive and time
consuming, but pulling it off totally covertly so that NOBODY found
out about it...? Thousands of people coordinating a gigantic secret
like that, without a single slip up, or conscience breaking and
causing a leak to the press strains the limits of rational thought.

Like I said, I was actually a McCain fan in 2000. Then he seemed
principled and righteous, but this time around he threw too much of
who I thought he was out the window. He took supporters and allies,
like ACORN, and threw them under the bus when it served his agenda. He
was sarcastic and snarky at the debates and in interviews, and his VP
choice was clearly a strategic move, and not a choice based on what
was actually best for his party or his country. Even if you agree with
her platform stances, she was inarticulate, uninformed and dodged
direct questions more than any politician I've ever seen. This new
2008 McCain is a shadow of who he was, and it makes me sad. And even
if you might say he was playing strategy to get in office, and wasn't
the real him... well, that's even worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment