Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Ugh

I'm working too much. I'm tired all day, every day. I don't think very clearly lately. I'm clumsy. I'm forgetful. I'm occasionally very cranky. My occasional stutter has gotten worse. I have no energy for my own projects, let alone this blog. Most days go something like this: I get up, I go to work, I eat, I go to work, I eat again, I work some more, I go to sleep.

Once this global economic mess turns around, this schedule I'm on ends hard and fast. The mind-numbing part of it is, I'm not even really making that much money. If I could charge a decent rate, I'd be raking it in right now, paying my bills with plenty to spare. As it is I'm working my ass off, and just skating by.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I'm currently doing personal training IN THE CLIENTS' HOMES for $30 per visit.

Yeah, you read that right that's a three with one zero after it.

In Phoenix (in good times) I was charging double that MINIMUM, and it often was more than that. And that's just Phoenix. I was expecting to raise my rates when I moved here, but everyone's so damn gun-shy about spending right now, I didn't have much choice but to slash them down instead.

When you figure in my drive time, the cost of all the equipment that I bring, and the wear and tear on my car and gas, not to mention the IMMENSE convenience factor I'm offering to these people, $30 is chicken feed. Also, consider the cost of living here is pretty high. Just being here in this area is the largest factor in my overhead to think about.

I've been managing to juggle the last two weeks so I have one day off again, for now. We'll see how long that lasts.

Each time I start to feel a little overwhelmed by all this I start to hear the lyrics of a song from Avenue Q in my head... They sing about how everything in life is:

"...only for now! For NOW! ...only for now! For NOW!"

This too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment